Resolution 92-11, Personnel and Salary, Article XXIII, Travel and Per Diem Policy
Section 1: Purpose
The District shall pay for expenses for authorized Trustees/Employees to attend approved conferences, seminars or meeting "events".
A. The authorization for all Trustees/Employees shall be the approved budget for the event.
B. The Employee may attend an event not specifically itemized in the approved budget providing the event will directly benefit the District, the event is approved by the Board of Trustees, and the cost of such event will not exceed the budgeted amount for travel.
Section 2: Procedure
A. Selection of Attendees
- The District Manager shall appoint employees to attend conferences.
- The Board President is responsible for approving Trustee attendance at all conferences, training, and non conference meetings for which travel and incidental costs will be incurred.
The District will pay for expenses incurred by Trustees authorized to attend approved events. Approved events shall be those conferences, training and non-conference meetings included in the approved annual budget, and events not specifically itemized in the annual budget if the event will directly benefit the District and will not exceed the budgeted amount for travel, unless approved in advance by the Board of Trustees.
Advance Approval Required to Attend
Trustees desiring to attend conferences, training, and non-conference meetings for which travel and incidental costs will be incurred shall submit to the Board President no less than 30 days prior to the close ofregistration a brief written request expressing interest and how their attendance will benefit the District.
Board Officers and committee members of the Mosquito and Vector Control Association of California, the Vector Control Joint Powers Agency, and the California Special Districts Association are not required to submit a written request to attend the conferences of these organizations, nor obtain the approval of the Board President, as their attendance is required as a part of their respective position. Nevertheless, conference registration for these events should be submitted no less than 30 days prior to the close of registration.
Transportation to and from the approved event shall be paid by the District. The Trustee/Employee shall secure the most economical mode of transportation in keeping with availability, convenience, and propriety.
- When air travel is appropriate, coach class shall be utilized.
- When air travel is used, attendees shall use the most economical means of travel from the airport to the event. If the most economical means of travel available is a rental car, the District shall pay the cost of the rental car, insurance, and fuel for authorized travel. Additional day's rental and fuel for personal travel shall be at the expense of the individual.
- The minimum number of District vehicles shall be used within a 300-mile radius from the District Headquarters unless air travel is more cost efficient.
- Every effort shall be made to use District vehicles. A private vehicle may be used with the District Manager's approval and shall be reimbursed in the amount authorized by the IRS for deduction if a District vehicle cannot be used. Use of personal vehicles shall comply with the provisions of Resolution 94-03, Resolution of the Board of Trustees of the San Gabriel Valley Mosquito and Vector Control District Adopting a Policy Regarding Use of Personal Vehicles for District Business.
- The District Manager shall seek informal bids for the best possible airfare.
- When spouses travel with Trustees or employees, it shall be at the expense of the Trustee/Employee. For insurance purposes, only Trustees and employees may travel in District vehicles. When the Trustee or employee must travel by air and the spouse is traveling with the Trustee/Employee, the District will provide travel arrangements for the spouse providing the Trustee/Employee pay for the cost of travel in advance.
- Staff shall not earn overtime or be compensated while traveling to and from an out-oftown conference. Employees' regular work schedule may be adjusted for in-town conferences to avoid earning overtime or compensatory time. For the purpose of this Article, out-of-town conference shall mean attendance of a conference that requires overnight accommodations and in-town conference shall mean attendance of a conference which does not require overnight accommodations.
The District shall pay the cost of accommodations.
- The event must be outside a 60-mile radius from the District Headquarters in order to get overnight accommodations.
- Reasonable cost accommodations shall be used by the Trustee/Employee in keeping with availability, convenience, and propriety.
- When appropriate, the District will pay for all lodging in advance. If the District is unable to pay for accommodations in advance, the District either will issue a warrant to the Trustee/Employee before departure to cover the cost of lodging or will reimburse the Trustee/Employee for the cost incurred within 10 days after returning from the event. All receipts must be submitted for reimbursement.
The District shall pay registration fees for the event.
E. Per Diem
Trustees attending approved events shall receive $55.00 per day and employees attending approved events shall receive $40.00 per day to cover the following expenses while at the event.
- Personal Travel (bus, gas, parking, etc.)
- Gratuites (hotel, porter, restaurant, etc.)
F. Report of Expenditures
- Within 10 days after returning from the event, the "Authorized Travel Expense Report" shall be completed, listing and totaling all actual business expenses, excluding meals, personal travel, and gratuities, with receipts for the event and reduced by any advances received. If the expenses are greater than the advances, any legitimate expenses will be reimbursed to the Trustee/Employee. If the expenses are less than the advances, the funds will be returned to the District to credit the travel account.
- The form must be approved as follows:
|Affected by Policy
|Secretary of the Board of Designee of Board President
|Secretary of the Board of Designee of Board President
While attending conferences, employees represent the image of the District and should dress and act appropriately. Inappropriate conduct may affect the employee's opportunity to attend future conferences.